How to be Awesome at Life in 10 Easy Steps
I used to suck at life. I’m not even kidding. It was quite sad. I had such a small view about what life could and should look like. I spent a lot of time feeling lost and lonely and sad. It’s been a long road, learning how to be awesome at life. It certainly hasn’t happened overnight. There have been so many stops and starts, lots of detours and a ridiculous amount of setbacks. My god, has it ever been worth it, though. And while everyone’s results will vary, here are some things you can expect from learning how to be awesome at life.
You will get to know yourself really really well. You will be content with less. You will have richer, deeper relationships. You will gain confidence. You will be happier. You will develop greater self discipline.
The really exciting part of the process is that it’s not complicated. It takes time, for sure, but the steps are simple and what’s cool is that you don’t have to wait until you’ve mastered all of them to start reaping the rewards.
So without further ado, here are the 10 simple steps to being awesome at life!
1. Practice gratitude. Whether you are looking for things to be grateful for or looking for things to be miserable about, you will find them. You will find a lot more joy in your life when you practice gratitude on a daily basis. Not only will you find more joy, but you will attract so many more blessings into your life.
2. Change your attitude. Piggybacking on the whole gratitude thing, the next step to awesome living is changing your attitude. If you have a shitty attitude about everything, how can you expect anything but shitty results to come your way? It’s all about perspective. Approach life with an open mind and heart and make a point of looking for the positive in every situation and you will be blown away at the results.
3. Change your self-talk. An excellent and effective way to change your attitude and perspective is to change your thought patterns and self-talk. Self -talk can be so sneaky and poisonous. It took me a long time to see the twisted thoughts and ideas I had swirling around my head. They had been there for so many years that they didn’t register on a conscious level anymore. I had to make a point of digging for them, examining them, dispelling them, and then replacing them with positive thoughts that I knew to be true.
4. Surround yourself with good people. It’s so much easier to rock at life when you spend your time with people of substance and character who also rock at life. I’ve heard it said and found it to be true that you become like the 5 people you spend most of your time with. So choose wisely. Make sure they are positive, successful, passionate, encouraging people who have qualities you yourself are trying to possess.
5. Give back. If you want to build character and find true joy in your life, make it a habit to seek and reach out to those who could use a helping hand. Whether it’s volunteering for a cause that’s important to you, performing random acts of kindness, or helping out a friend in need, you will never regret time spent making other’s lives better.
6. Slow down. Seriously. What’s the point of living a kickass life if you never slow down enough to enjoy it? Don’t pack your days so full that you are forced to whiz through every item on your to do list. Yes, you’ll get lots accomplished, but you won’t have time to savour any of it. You’ll constantly feel rushed and your days will blur together. Simplify, delegate, minimize, and outsource. Allow yourself time to breath, relax, and enjoy yourself.
7. Try new things. This is such a big one. It’s so easy to get comfy in our routines. But that’s the quickest way to a meh life. There are so many great benefits to trying new things. Finding new passions and hobbies, building confidence, meeting new people, conquering fears. There really is no downside.
8. Find and follow your passion. If you haven’t found your passion yet, number 7 will come in super handy here. Another great way to find what you love to do is to think back to when you were a kid. What did you love to do? What did you spend hours at a time doing, losing track of time? That would be a good indication of where your passion might lie. Once you figure it out, pursue it big time. You won’t be sorry, I promise. There are few things more satisfying and exciting than spending big chunks of time doing what you love. It feeds your soul.
9. Self-development/personal growth. The only person you should ever compare yourself to is you. And you should always and forever be trying to be better than you were yesterday. Read books. Set goals. Learn new skills. Strive to grow and be your best possible self.
10. Keep an open mind and a humble heart. Approach every person you meet and every situation you encounter with an open mind and an attitude of humility. You will be amazed by what you’ll learn about yourself and the world around you.You will be able to connect with people on a beautifully deep level when you put aside your ego, opinions, and preconceived notions.
As you can see, none of this is rocket science. It’s simple and absolutely doable, not to mention beyond worth the time and effort. Don’t get overwhelmed with doing everything perfectly. It’s about the journey. Enjoy it,. Take little steps. Dow what you can with what you have where you are. Before you know it, you will be kicking ass at life!